I came back from lunch to see this email waiting for me:
Hi, Josie. In my retirement I have had more time to experiment with cooking. Here is a recipe I got on my Kindle that has really been a hit. It is also very easy to make. I thought you might like to try it.
1 bag (about a pound) of Baking Chocolate Chips (I use Ghiradelli 60% Cocoa chips, but others will work as well I guess)
2 sticks of butter chopped up (1/2#)
1 tablespoon of Vanilla Extract (optional)
1 and ½ cups of sugar
5 Tablespoons of regular flour
1 and ½ Teaspoons of Baking Powder
1. Melt the butter in a sauce pan and add the chocolate chips and vanilla. Stir until you have a smooth mixture.
2. Whip the 5 eggs with the sugar, sifted flour and sifted baking powder in a large bowl. Use an electric mixer if you have one.
3. Add the chocolate/egg mixture to the large bowl until everything is a uniform texture.
4. Use a 9 or 10” round cake pan (I bought a snap-release pan at the grocery store). Butter the pan and add the cake mixture.
5. Bake at 350 in the oven for twenty minutes uncovered. Then cover the pan with foil and cook 25-30 minutes more.
6. Cool on a rack and sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
You can make this 1 day ahead or serve the same day if you can’t wait.
Hope you like it.
The thought of my father baking a chocolate cake just gets me. The cutie-patootie.